Monday, September 15, 2008

odes

Dear Chokecherry Jam,

Where does your goodness come from?
How do you change dirt into yummy yummy flavor?

Do you sift the dirt by molecular processes,
taking an atom here and an atom there?

What a recipe you must know
for the end result is heavenly.

And from where do you get your name: Chokecherry?
Was your flavor so delightful that they choked on the
right words to call you by?

I believe I would do the same,
as all the words I could think of
could not describe your taste to a foreigner.

All I can say, is Chokecherry,
thank you for being made into jam.

*****
Ode to Aubyn

Shall I compare you to a summer's day?
You are more lovely and more entertaining.

You are clever and witty,
making me smile even if I don't want to.

Of you my son is fond, and we both enjoy your visits.
I, to ply you with sugary gelled toast toppings,
he, to ply you with shoot 'em up games and sweet kisses.

When conversation is peppered with laughter and tears,
I know a kindred spirit has been found.

How fortunate we are to be friends, even as we're family,
and you should come to Bozeman for Thanksgiving with us.

Like Chuck Norris, you can divide by zero,
and we eat bruschetta like it is stew.

Won't you come visit us soon?
We have so much to catch up on.