Sunday, November 4, 2007

observations

  • Molly noted that "blogs were made for people like you." I assume she means those with something to say and the time to say it. Kellie assured me that was better than having nothing to say and the time to say it.
  • I've gotten some looks/comments lately that indicate a few certain people disapprove of things I do or say. I'm not sure how to feel about that, since I know that they love me...and it's subtle enough that I wouldn't feel comfortable calling them out on it. On one hand, I want to act and speak like a lady. On the other hand, I can be a crass girl. Reconciling the two is tricky: I'm a stickler for thank you notes and polite phone etiquette, but I threatened to dress my child as a turd for Halloween. I am what I am.
  • Dressing Blake as a turd for Halloween - mildly abusive if it was my idea, more acceptable if it was his...and I was joking.
  • Kind of.
  • The POOP hat is something I do not really approve of, but he has taken to it in such a way that I cannot just toss it, so I try to limit it to the house or the car. Sometimes I forget, and it makes it into Target, or, say, the women's retreat for church this weekend. I was mildly embarrassed, but it's not that big a deal to me because it's still funny.
  • The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands, by Dr. Laura, is an excellent book. She can be slightly misogynistic, but I see where she's coming from, and I could recommend the book without misgivings. Now, a book that changed my life, called The Excellent Wife, is pretty near unreadable without help. My discipler and I barely made it through that one in the months before my marriage, but it absolutely helped me to relate to Blake more biblically. Boiled down, the books emphasize largely the same points, but TEW has lots more Scripture and is so hard to read without being offended that I cannot ever recommend it to the very women I know it could bless. I am glad to now have an alternative.
  • As is my wont, I got a little emotional during some discussion time at the women's retreat Friday night. I know that God's timing is best for filling the hole in my heart and family, but I did not think it would take this long. In reply to me stating (somewhat grimly) the truth emblazoned on one of my rings, "God is not late," my sweet friend Jen quickly pointed out "but He is rarely early." Good perspective.
  • Reese may be following a recipe, but her sugar cookies are amazing...so are her pumpkin cookies, which I plan to bake today.
  • I found another freckle on little Blake. I love that!

No comments: