Sunday, January 13, 2008

slippoly

I keep a humidifier in both Blake's and my room because I woke up and realized I am actually 70 years old.

No, wait - it helps with our breathing and dry skin, particularly his eczema. Yep, that's the real reason. Well, his is a cute little penguin that sends out a visible stream of cool water. He thinks it's pretty wonderful and likes to turn it on.

The other morning, he came into my room, per usual. I picked him up to take him to his room for the standard diaper change and clothing argument. Pushing open the door to his room (he always closes it behind him, which I did not teach), I took one step in the dark and almost landed on my rear. Flicking on the light, I could see what had happened: Blake had turned the humidifier up as far as it could go. All night long, that visible stream of cool water flowed from the penguin and drifted to the floor, coating everything within about four feet. I wiped down what I could (toys, closet door, wall, and floor), and aimed a fan at the wool carpet, which was quite damp.

So, my house has only recent STOPPED smelling like a wet sheep...which I suppose isn't as bad as wet dog, but when I think of sheep, I always think of Daddy Blake's term for them: prairie maggots.

My house smelled like wet prairie maggot. Visitors welcome!

No comments: