Friday, June 27, 2008

trying to pull it together

Wow, we've been playing catch-up all week. A quick rundown:
  • 2:00 am - The hour, in Montana, that I had to wake up on Monday in order to get to the airport at time (4:00 am Eastern).
  • 10:30 am - The hour in Montana that Blake and I arrived in Billings, exhausted but with great memories and (the best part) a Batman costume.
  • Tuesday - I had to drive back to Bozeman and straight to work in order to wrap up a major deadline. We were there an hour and got to spend the rest of the day at home together. It wasn't super-relaxing (unpacking and watering droopy plants and showering), but it wasn't work, and that's saying something.
  • Wednesday - A full day at work followed by a baby shower for a dear friend whose preemie twins are doing SO WELL. I love them and would nibble their cheeks if I wasn't petrified I'd pass on some terrible disease.
  • Thursday - Our relaxing day, starting with a leisurely morning of reading and playing, then the park, some errands, and a nap for Blake.
  • Friday - Another full day of work. I still haven't taken my nap, and it feels like my face is cracking into two every time I yawn, which I do all day long. Also, a group of friends and I are going to Shakespeare in the Park tonight! I'm excited for almost all of it...but they're doing Macbeth. PARTY!
I'm missing out on a camping trip this weekend with the rest of my family. I blame the fact that NO ONE TOLD ME (or I wasn't listening when they did), so I never put it in my planner and consequently scheduled other things, but the fact is that I probably couldn't have gone even if told in time. That's my way of saying, "Mom? I'm sorry that I was such a bag about not being able to go. It's probably not your fault."

We had such fun in DC. I got to have great conversations with Rachel & Joe, and the boys played wonderfully together. Now that I got the semi-scary hurdle of a first visit down (you know, you never know what it's going to be like, so you're scared of the unknown?), I think we'll go out for a week the next time. I'm not sure when that's going to be, but hopefully soon.
***
An aside to the friend/family whom I will not name, but who gave me some genuine attitude about the lack or brevity of my visit? I will HAPPILY come out more often and stay longer - you can go ahead and buy the tickets. Be prepared to drop a thou.
***
Last Sunday at the National Zoo was great fun - we got to see the couple who had hosted big Blake and I for Thanksgiving during our brief stay in Los Alamos. They've been transferred to DC for the next four years, and it was lovely to hug them and spend a bit of time with them. We also got to see a fellow I work with - he hadn't met Blake yet! - and I am so grateful that they were willing to bend to our schedule given our brief stay. Thank you guys!
***
I'm having my wedding dress altered to attempt to wear it to a formal ball in September. For those who think that's in poor taste: it's more a joke than anything else. Also, shove it. For everyone else: it's the most fabulous dress I've ever owned, and I'm excited to possibly wear it again, albeit much changed, and I hope that not too many people pooh-pooh it. I think that would hurt my feelings.
***
Once I can figure things out, I hope to post video (I know, I've promised THAT before) and pics later today. Also, maybe once I'm rested I can organize my thoughts a little better? Maybe?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adele, wear your wedding dress and don't care what other people think. You rock!

Anonymous said...

Of course you should wear your wedding dress. The people who think you shouldn't are jealous - they can't fit into theirs anymore!
Joanie