Sunday, August 17, 2008

weekend

Hurray for team USA and Michael Phelps! I'm so proud to be an American.

Our weekend was GREAT fun with Andy & Michelle. They took us camping (me for the first time since I was pregnant, Blake for his first time this summer - Grammie took him last summer when I was in Europe) up to Seeley Lake. I'd never been, and it was lovely. We spent time with a few of Michelle's acquaintances from work, and while that detracted from the time that we could all spend together, Blake had himself a crush on the eight-year-old boy, Ian. He followed poor Ian around like a puppy.

When he wasn't being an R2-Me2, he was running circles around the camp, shuffling through the dust, sifting it through his fingers, running off-trail into the low shrubby stuff, and generally having a great time. He "ran" through the lake, getting deep enough that both Michelle and I were concerned, but the grin never left his face as he hopped exaggeratedly through the water.

I have to admit that it was hard to turn off my "Mommy" mode, and all the dirtiness got to me a little bit. I remember dirty legs from camping, but my son was snotting out dirt boogers and threw sand in his own hair. I had a bar of soap and enough baby wipes to kit out an army, so we'd wash up occasionally, and Andy proclaimed that Blake would share his hatred of wipes because both their mothers over-used them.

I am not deterred and will persist in having baby wipes on me at all times because they are awesome.

We had an enormous borrowed tent - I hugged the side, and my son flipped all around the rest of it - but we both stayed warm. I really hope we'll do it again next summer. It was an easy way for me to put my toe back in the waters for camping (they did a triathalon, we slept in), and the only thing that's really different is my body. I can no longer sleep flat on my back without at least two pillows. Also, I really like my three-inch-thick sleeping pad.

Please don't tell the folks over at BackpackingLight!

No comments: