Wednesday, October 8, 2008

great expectations

Blakester and I got back from Spokane on Monday night. I know that many (all?) of my tens of readers want to know how that trip went, so I will naturally be blogging about my trip to Calgary today.

Mostly, I still have things to say about that trip, and I want to keep things straight in my head, so you will just have to check back later if you want the skinny on the "Rob-ber" of my heart. HAHA! Catherine made that up, and I just stole it. Thanks Catherine!

In mid-September, Blake and I went up to Calgary for a promised visit to see Grammie Gee and Grampa Kent, Aunt Ernie and Uncle Dan. This was the first time I'd attempted to make the drive myself, and I was a little apprehensive, largely due to the length. It's a solid 500 miles and seven to eight hours, and Blake's recently decided that potty-training is optional. We got to Helena and stopped for an early lunch, where I realized I'd left our passports at home in Bozeman.

I got a hold of Rob, who verified for me the new border-crossing requirements, put in place by our government, who has decided "give me your tired, your poor" no longer applies. Passports are not required when crossing by land until next year, so I didn't have to go back. Yippee! Still, I knew that getting OUT of the country wouldn't be hard, but they could easily hassle me when I tried to get back IN.

Got there in good time, no real melt-downs by either of us, and Margie's place was as lovely as I remembered, especially when surrounded by aspens in their full golden glory of fall. We hit the Zoo with Erin, and Blake did marvelously, walking to and fro and seeing a baby giraffe and baby elephant. Erin took me home, Margie took Blake, and we both were spoiled by our respective hosts. They went to Heritage Park, where Blake got to ride the Ferris wheel, the train, and the S.S. Moyie Sternwheeler.

Erin and Dan hosted a little dinner party with me and some friends, then we went to a pub a few blocks away for drinks and dancing to Dr. Zeuss, the cover band (surprisingly good!) that was playing that weekend. I even beat Dan at bubble hockey, while laughing my head off - never really played before, so I won strictly on luck. Their friend, Mike, knew just enough jitterbug to get me started, so I taught him a few more moves, and we had a blast practicing.

Erin and I got up for pedicures and wandering the shops on 4th Street (near their house), stopping for sushi and good conversation at lunch. I can't find tuna belly rolls anywhere here, but they are my new favorite. We talked about big Blake and how our hearts are doing and cried a little together. I fell down though: the timing was so perfect to pray with and for Erin, and I didn't. I was scared - I don't want to be pushy or alienating, even as I desperately want to introduce her (everyone!) to my Jesus. I regret that I was fearful and self-conscious at at time when Erin would doubtless have been receptive and warm, and my prayer is that I would not let such opportunities to slip by in the future.

I was so blessed by our time together. Erin and Dan are lovely people, and finally getting to know Erin on our own terms, in our own time, was huge for me. Also, she knows where all the good stores are in Calgary, so I am sporting some great new threads! We finished up the weekend with some very mellow time at Margie & Kent's place, where Dan beat me and Erin at Scrabble (I demand a rematch), and Blake got to hot tub, enjoy the horses, and create his own obstacle course from Margie's horse-jumping equipment.

It was lovely, though the slightly longer trip (five days, rather than three or four) showed me that I need my own laptop. There's something about borrowing someone else's that makes me feel like I'm invading their privacy, though I never really feel that way when someone uses my desktop. Weird. I didn't get any work done, which was good and bad - exceedingly relaxing, but I was fearful of what I would be hit with upon getting home.

Speaking of getting home, I was a bit nervous about the border. Big Blake had been hassled once, and they threatened to hold him at the border so I could drive all the way to Bozeman and back to get his passport, since we could not otherwise prove his citizenship (we couldn't prove mine either, but they believed me because I was born in Billings - the big strapping man next to me was an American born in Calgary, which apparently equals a threat). I get asked at every border crossing if little Blake's father knows he's leaving/entering the country, and I tell them that I'm widowed, they apologize, I hand them our passports, and we get waved through.

Still, I have NO proof of ANYTHING this time, and I'm creating scenarios in my mind about just beggging to be allowed to go home, asking why they'd hassle a poor widow and her cranky pre-schooler, trying to remember where they could go online to verify my sob story, etc. etc. We get to the border and a long line, and I set Blake in my lap to "help" me drive up to the checkpoint. It took a while, and he was antsy. We got through the main points: we're visiting in-laws, were there five days, we're headed to Bozeman, I'm a widow, we were both born in Billings, and no, I don't have proof of our citizenship.

A: "I'm sorry - I realized in Helena that I had forgotten our passports."
Border guard: "Well, why did you do that?" (he may have been joking, but I have a good ear for that, and that's not what I was picking up!)
A: "Um, (pointing to Blake) I was distracted as the single mother of a three-year-old. I can only be SO amazing."

He didn't think it was as funny as I did. Apparently his ear for a joke was not in as good shape as mine. Still, they let me through! We got to Great Falls and stopped to see Helenmarie, Margie's mom, at the McDonald's there. Double-Grammie HM got us ice cream cones, and Blake ran himself ragged in the play area while she and I got a bit caught up. Now, I don't know her that well, and I think the last time I saw her would have been for Blake's funeral (and her husband, Jim's, funeral before that), but it was SO GOOD.

First off, anyone who says as many sincerely kind things to me as she did is okay in my book! Second, her heart was clearly so soft that I couldn't help but love her and want to spend more time with her. Third, she was excited for my new relationship, and told me with tears in her eyes how often she's prayed for that for me and little B. Blake liked her too, and went right to her for a hug, which was dear and unusual. I hope to make more such stops in the future, as it was an unexpected and thorough blessing.

There. Whew! I'll publish more later (I have a Post-It on my desk with a list of blog items to touch on), but I'm not sure when... the rest of this week is going to be wildly crazy, but I'll do my best. It's funny how I feel a sense of responsibility not only to feed and clothe me and my boy, but also to keep those who love me enough to read this thing updated on the comings, goings, and thoughts of my life. It's like you all care about what I have to say.

Well, then... OKAY.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Thank you for updating us on the comings and goings. :) It sounds like you had an awesome adventure! Any woman that can entertain a tot for 500 miles and sweet talk border patrol is a champion in my book. Power on saucy mama! :)

Love ya lots.
A

Lindsey K said...

we totally care...so thanks!!