Wednesday, February 11, 2009

that's what she said

I've been getting a number of recipe requests in recent weeks, which I LOVE. Like Molly, I love cooking, I love food, I love trying new recipes and sharing ones I'm known for. Apparently, I come by it honestly. K1 and K2 are sisters and dear friends of mine who refuse to call me 'Addie.' Scott is my father, and Monica is my mother:

K1: "We got that cookie recipe from Adele."
K2: "I DON'T WANT COOKIES, I WANT CARAMEL CORN."

(pause)

K2: "What cookies?"
K1: "The ones Scott used to woo Monica."
K2: "Oh, right."
K1: "I love cookies. I've decided to only date a man who will court me with cookies."

*****
The Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies of LOVE

Mix well:
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups Crisco
2 eggs
1/2 cup water

Add:
2 cups flour
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. vanilla

Mix everything well and add:
6 cups oatmeal/rolled oats/whatever
1 bag chocolate chips (I prefer milk chocolate, but semi-sweet is good too)

Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until just underdone. Cool on a wire rack. This recipes makes GOBS of cookies and is easy to halve. Or you can give lots away; you can freeze half the dough or half the baked cookies; you can just eat many a day until they are gone.

I prefer the last option. Because they are yummy enough to win you a spouse, evidently. Caramel corn recipe to follow later because it takes longer to type.

Dad would buy a cardboard canister of rolled oats, use them all in the batch, then bring Mom the baked cookies in the empty canister. It's still their favorite chocolate chip cookie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll be happy to know that i made caramel corn for her last night! I couldn't handle all the crying.

Anonymous said...

The first batch was a little different but the second batch of caramel corn was delicious.. I love Caramel Corn, even though I hardly ever get it.