Sunday, September 13, 2009

mold just always sounds gross to me

Snippets of my day:

I found the DVD I was missing. Disc 1 of Season 2 of 30 Rock went AWOL at some unknown point, and I couldn't find it for the life of me, which drives me nutty insane. I hate not knowing where things are, especially when they should be in very specific places. Then I remembered that Rob had to send in his Blu-Ray player for repair work, which required my old DVD player to make an appearance in the house. Rob was not very happy about this - sulky even - but we had to have SOMETHING to while away the time. Blake's not going to rot out his brain without help. Voila! Upon plugging in said DVD player and pressing a button, my disc magically appeared and found its way back into the nice and clean cardboard and plastic holder that it calls home. Poor thing was probably scared and lonely out there in the garage.

I worked out today and am giving myself a pedicure tonight.

I have organized the genre of all my iTunes songs. I didn't realize this was something you could be OCD about until Rob was horrified by my lack of genre codifying. He's admitted to be a TEENSY bit uptight about genre, and I was so excited to find one of HIS hang-ups that I got on board. He is less excited about my hang-ups, but I might have one or two more than him.

Hurray for homegrown tomatoes! And basil! In a homemade quiche! I'd like to claim that I made the cheese and laid the eggs myself too, but that might be pushing it.

Crustless Tomato-Basil Quiche
*** Note ***
If you do not have a DeMarle cake mold and perforated baking sheet, you'll need a crust or a very well oiled pie pan.
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (your choice - I used Colby Jack)
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes or halved grape tomatoes
  • 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes, reserved for garnish
  • 3 stems fresh basil
Wisk eggs until well beaten. Stir in cornstarch, milk, cottage cheese, and shredded cheese; salt and pepper to taste. Add non-garnish tomatoes to mixture. Reserve 10 whole basil leaves and snip remaining basil into mixture.

Place cake mold (I have a round one) onto perforated baking sheet and pour mixture into mold. Bake at 350 F for 45-50 minutes or until edges turn golden brown. Unmold onto platter and garnish with remaining cup of tomatoes and whole basil leaves.

1 comment:

Cat said...

I can't believe I didn't think of you when G and I figured this out over the weekend:
Margarita Mix
1 cup lime juice (reserve pulp if you want pulp)
1/4 cup lemon juice (reserve pulp if you want pulp)
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
4 cups water
Put all ingredients into pitcher, stir until sugar is dissolved.
Acquire tequila and lime wedges, ice and margarita glasses.
Enjoy!