Monday, December 17, 2012

that's what he said

As I suspected, Blake's heartache of the other night has not carried over into his days. He gleefully enjoyed a playdate with his dear friend from church and had a good day at school, both of which are good for my heart. I want to help him navigate grief well, but not dwell in it and get all pruney. I think we're doing okay in that regard!

*****
During our hard conversation, we talked about God and heaven and earth and what the Bible teaches about them, and Blake asked, "If God created the heavens and the earth, who created God?"
A: No one. God has always been and always will be. God IS.
B: Wow. Sometimes the universe really blows my mind.
A: Agreed.

*****
B: Mom, the dishwasher's full. Where should I put my bowl?
A: Put it in the top... drawer. Rack. Whatever.
B: Let's call it the top rack.

*****
K: Blake, you are a VERY handsome boy. You look just like your dad.
B: Yeah. I don't think I'll ever be able to forget him, with what I look like.

*****
(a neighbor friend takes Blake with his family to Bible Study Fellowship, and they often stop for dessert afterwards - both BSF and the ice cream are highlights of Blake's day)
J: Kids, we're not stopping for McFlurries tonight.
B: Oh, ok. I was trying to decide if I should tell you: my mom said I couldn't have one because I didn't eat my dinner. But now it doesn't matter!

*****
B: Mom? When can we have split pea soup again? I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE split pea soup. And tomato soup with grilled cheese. Let's have that first.

*****
K: You know, your son is very charming. At one point this summer, he complimented me on my landscaping, then asked if he could jump on the trampoline. How could I say no to a child who used the phrase "I like your landscaping?"

*****
BH (a friend, babysitting): Blake, what do you want to do when you grow up?
B: I don't know. I'll probably work at Oracle.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Out of the mouth of babes! Love Blake's little spirit.

gailzee said...

I hope you have all this on record...it is so delightful and insightful of a young boys mind who knows how to articulate how he feels! Precious!