Wednesday, February 27, 2013

classic addie

This morning, on my way to Bible study, road construction forced me to merge into the left lane. I put on my blinker and expected the car in my blind spot to slow and let me in. Instead, the driver accelerated so abruptly that it was clear to me she had no intention of such a courtesy. In fact, I was surprised to see that her plates weren't from California. The truck behind her graciously let me merge. I waved to him, then made eye contact with the woman who was now immediately in front of me, via her rear view mirror.

Very matter-of-fact, I calmly told her she was a bitch and flipped her off. To her credit, she did not respond in kind.

As we sat there, stopped at the light, I was hit with a wave of contrition. I had just sinned against someone in a fit of pique, and I would have no chance to make it right. I could confess to God and ask forgiveness, but as soon as the light changed, I would have no chance to do the same with this stranger. I thought about hopping out, tapping her window, and quickly apologizing, but decided against it. She might have thought I was insane or violent, and it could have made the problem worse. I sadly reflected on my terrible witness of God's love on the way to Bible study, for crying out loud, and why "casual" sins made in passing can be so harmful, with no chance for redemption with the offended.

We proceeded through the light, and I watched her turn into the parking lot where Bible Study Fellowship is held. My face turned bright red as we drove past one another in the parking lot. I was walking down the hall, telling my friend Jill the story, when I saw her: the driver in green. Approaching me.

I veered off and stopped right in front of her.

"I owe you an apology."

"I owe YOU an apology! I was totally not paying attention!"

"That's not really sinning against me, though, whereas I had a temper tantrum that was totally uncalled for. Can you please forgive me? I'm mortified."

"Of course. And I'm sorry that I didn't see you."

"When I saw you turn into the lot, I was really glad I would have the chance to apologize, but I was really embarrassed, because of COURSE I was headed to the same Bible study as a woman I had just flipped the bird."

Later, I finished telling Jill about my morning, concluding that God is both gracious to let me confess and seek forgiveness as well as a bit ornery to let me learn my lesson in such a pointed way, and she laughed and laughed. "Oh! I have to tell my husband. That is such a classic Addie story!"

And that is why I do not have an icthus (Christian fish) on my car. The end.

6 comments:

lanerdoo said...

Oh yay! I loved this....and I fully imagined myself skipping Bible Study to avoid the horrifying encounter. Props to you for have the guts to do the right thing. God certainly knows how to humble us doesn't he :)

Grammie Perrine said...

Your last sentence made me guffaw! Love this story!

Jamie said...

Aside from loving you and this story, my first thought when seeing the title was, "I wonder what Retro Addie looks like."

Needless to say, all shades of Addie are highly enjoyable. :)

Hannah Meeks said...

Addie you make me laugh so! :-)

Jai Anderson said...

Addie - that is TOO funny and so sadly familiar. Isn't it amazing how much rage can issue forth when we're driving? And yes, this story made me love you more!

gailzee said...

...again, you are my spiritual hero for the day! and I love you! ..and I want to be more like you when I grow up...