Sunday, June 1, 2008

you give me fever

Blake spiked a fever on Friday at around noon, and we've been semi-relaxing since then. I took him out to ice cream on Friday night (in between runs of garage sale stuff to Reese's), and he couldn't even eat half his small dish. Poor buddy. He was up at 2:30 and 5:30 am, giving me a great start to the garage sale that Reese, Naomi, and I put on for Saturday morning (Sara helped too!). He watched movies inside or napped in Reese's bed the whole time we were there.

Today is the second full day of fever (hovering at around 102.5), which is responding well to medicine. The poor buddy's appetite is non-existent, he's fussy and sweaty, and we're a treat to be around. I'm working on keeping him comfortable and hydrated, which is hard. He likes having his temperature taken and then taking mine, so we keep close tabs on each other. Also, he calls his thermometer his "temperature."
****
B: "Mom? Can you please take my temperature out into the living room now?"
A: "Why?"
B: "Because I don't want it in here."

I visualized him rolling his eyes when he said this, as though it were the most obvious thing in the world.
****
I've recently been worrying over how much TV Blake watches. I'm not really sure what to do about it, since I can't always time my showers to when he's asleep, and I can't send him out to play without going with him, which isn't always practical as a single mother working from home.

I don't want to justify the TV time...but I don't want to feel guilty about it either. Grr. To top it off today, he asked for his juice when we got in the car after church:
"Can I have my Juicy Juice? The very best juice for the very best boys."

This is alarmingly close to Juicy Juice's tag line, repeated at the end of their commercials...which play often on Nickelodeon. While it was cute, it was also more than a little horrifying. I don't like my kid shilling for Disney by wearing branded clothing, so hearing actual commercial ad lines coming from his mouth made me die a little inside.

However, cracking down on TV time while he's sick seems wildly unfair...so we'll stick to VeggieTales for a while.

No comments: