Tuesday, September 23, 2008

my black heart needs a bath

I'll start with a list of words I am getting irritated by these days. These words are used to tap into a consumer culture's guilt, driving up consumption and sales and are so hypocritical that I want to take a Sharpie to them each time I see them.
  • Organic
  • Green
  • Recycled
  • Sustainable
  • Eco-friendly
  • Soy-based
  • Post-consumer
  • Low-impact
  • Cruelty-free
Words/things I like:
  • Reclaimed
  • Conservation
  • Wildlife
  • Renewable
  • The color green
  • Reusable
  • Bamboo
  • Leather
I have my reasons, but they are a bit lengthy to get into here... so GUESS.
****
I had a bath so hot last night that I spent the first few minutes dancing in and out of the tub, convinced I'd just scalded my feet. It was very full, very langourous, and, in a tiny bathroom, stayed very cozily warm for a while. There's nothing quite like soaking in a hot tub with a candle nearby, right up until the havoc being wreaked on my blood pressure (by the hot water and inhaled steam) made me aware that I would slip into unconsciousness if I didn't get out soon.

Apparently, I'm still susceptible to damp heat for passing out. Good times. Still, I slept hard as a result, which means I'm going to have to figure out how to fit a hot tub on my back porch, which is pretty much precisely the size of a hot tub. My back door would be rendered useless, unless you were opening it to slide into the steamy warmth. My neighbors might be appalled, but I think I've established my near total disregard for them.
****
B, upon being given a Pop-Tart with breakfast: "Ooh! Momma, what kind of Pop-Tart is this?"
A: "Umm, blueberry. I got you blueberry this time."
B: "BLUEBERRY? Oh my GOSH! I love it. Love it, love it, love it."

No comments: