Sunday, September 7, 2008

weddings

I've gotten to be part of two very different, very exciting, very fun weddings in the last month plus.

The first was Lane's and Bing's on July 27th. It was held at my folks' place in the side yard, on what surely must have been the hottest day of the year... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

The "rehearsal" dinner was the night before at bin119 in Billings (where both Lane & Bing work). We got to meet Bing's family and enjoy a great meal, and Bing's dad, Barney, had brought his guitar and some sound equipment out from Oregon in order to provide live music on the patio after dinner! Bing even joined him in a great rendition of "Knocking on Heaven's Door." We talked, laughed, danced, smoked cigars, and went through A LOT of wine.

The day of the wedding dawned bright and clear, and the Myers house was bustling with dinner prep, table layout, chair arrangement and rearrangement, decoration placement, etc. All the guests (twenty of us) got settled, and Lane came down the aisle. A good family friend married them, and they had written their own vows.

Now, I honestly wasn't sure what this wedding would be like. I've never attended the nuptials of someone so obviously pregnant. Would it feel like a shot-gun affair? Would I cry? Well, Lane and Bing have put in a lot of work and made a great number of sacrifices, and as they wept, speaking their vows of love and commitment to one another, all of us wept along with them. It was one of the most meaningfully beautiful weddings I've ever attended, and their love was tangible and tender.

Afterward, we broke to the back yard for dinner, all made in-house (I believe). There was even MORE conversation, wine, laughter, and cigars. Lane married into one of the kindest families I've ever met - everyone was lovely. Bing married into, um, one of the most fertile. Maddox was born Friday the 5th, and he's dear.
*****
I got into town for Molly's wedding and was whisked off to her future in-laws' home for dinner. I got to meet just about all of the immediate family and promptly fell in love with most of them (jury's still out on Jared, JR's brother). I also met, but did not really interact with, Rob.

On Friday, Mom and Dad graciously helped me host a BBQ in honor of JR & Molly, with the intent of getting to know one another better before a whirlwind weekend. After everyone was fed, Carrie (JR's sister) wisely encouraged us all to circle up and share stories about the bride and groom. It made a fun night grow to be meaningful and God-centered as well, and we wrapped up with Dad giving most of the guys a tour of the coolest engineering parts of the house, all while smoking cigars, natch.

The rehearsal and dinner were a blur of activity, and JR was obviously getting more and more energized by, well, everything! I enjoyed an "I Do" brew, made in honor of the happy couple by the groom's uncle, and Rob and I had our first real conversation (funny and serious and long).

All the ladies got ready at Molly's place, which was fun and loud and crowded. I don't know that I've seen such a beautiful wedding party before (and I'm not trying to be immodest - everyone looked hot!). Molly's dress was amazing, and it was so fun to see her all dolled up like a girl. During the wedding, JR fiddled endlessly with her hands, he was so excited. Their vows were beautiful, as was their chosen verse: Psalm 40:3 - He put a new song in my mouth.

Blake and my folks were there, and Blake was a champ, not making a peep in the wedding itself. During the reception, he was transfixed by the bright blue Audi cake (modeled after JR's beloved car), and when I wouldn't let him taste it, he tried very hard to get me to allow him to smell it. Molly and JR joined the band briefly for a song (Molly plays the tambourine, apparently!), large quantities of sushi and great beer were consumed, and Rob held my hand and danced with me. I'm not sure how much the newlyweds sat down, but they sure looked like they were having a great time!

I fell in love with JR's entire family, and I've enjoyed keeping up with them since. I've never laughed quite so hard, quite so often, and been teased quite so mercilessly (and lovingly). It was okay, I GUESS.
*****
Lane & Bing, Molly & JR: congratulations so very much! Thank you for letting me be a part of your amazing days... I'm so privileged to count you as my family and friends.

1 comment:

Joy Joy said...

What wonderful celebrations! Thanks for the stories.