Thursday, October 16, 2008

it's a start

I'm not sure how many of you know this, but I went to Spokane early this month.

Yep, I did. Spent some time with a fella there too. He's pleasant to be around, so I might go back eventually... or in precisely fifteen days.

We got there with numb butts, ready to do something (anything!) besides sit in the car. Rob helpfully bundled us back into the car and took us to Riverfront Park in downtown Spokane, which turned out to be worth it. We walked by the river, Blake chased the geese ("I going to just pet one, Mom."), we played in the water fountain/feature/thingy and got all wet, Blake went round and round down the enormous Radio Flyer wagon/slide, and Blake and I rode the carousel. Rob said my grin was bigger than Blake's the whole time, but it was because I was watching my child experience something new and fun and different, all while keeping a death grip on the bar so as not to slide off the very tall horsey. He couldn't decide whether he should be delighted or anxious, but he firmly told me that I needed to hold on with BOTH hands when I leaned back, with one hand in the air, and said "Yee-haw!"

Rob, I am not a cowgirl, but I speak the language... just like you, but with you, it's Jedi knight.

We met Rob's sister Rachel and her family, Chris & Jasmine, and Blake and Jasmine hit it off right away, despite a six-year age gap. They were rather hilarious together, and Jasmine gamely endured shooting and being shot at over and over again. She also tried to teach him some stuff on the Wii, but that was less successful due to Blake's lousy hand-eye coordination. I was tickled by the built-in entertainment, which allowed me to pay attention to, er, other things. Plus, I didn't have a bored three-year-old hanging off me or underfoot at every moment, which was unexpected. He still misses her, because I am not nearly as fun no matter how hard I try. Also, no Wii!

I got to help make dinner for Rob's folks, Cec and Joyce, and I think Blake won them over for us. It was easy really: set him and Jasmine loose in the living and watch what happens. I barely had to make conversation, but when we did, it was fun and easy and relaxed. However, I learned that Rob doesn't like sour cream, which is, unfortunately, a strike against him. I suppose I can't have it all.

It was a pleasant, easy-going weekend, and I really enjoyed just getting to be in the same room as this man that I've fallen for so thoroughly. I learned more about a few things that we'll get to address in the coming weeks and months, but nothing like a red flag-type deal breaker. If anything, I'm more resolved in my fondness for him and desire to see where God takes us. And yes, he told me that he loved me, and in such a way that melted my heart and my firm resolve to hold him at arm's length.

It didn't help that he was hugging me at the time. What can I say? He's bigger and stronger, and it's tricky holding someone at arm's length when your arms are wrapped around them. Firmly.

Though we've decided not to make any big decisions until after Christmas (which I think is wise in many ways), including if either of us will move, Rob kept trying to convince me of the attractiveness of Spokane, starting every argument with "Six ski resorts within an hour and..." Because anyone who knows me knows I'm a total powder hound. I think - maybe - he's making fun of me? He did win at our first game of Scrabble, but it's awesome to have a challenge and really get my game face on. Also, I take some small, nerdy comfort knowing that I kick his ass when it comes to doing a crossword puzzle.

Then I put away my reading glasses, sip my Metamucil, and go to bed at 8:00 pm.

The drive back was harder than I'd imagined, because I very much did not want to leave. I was torn between hating the idea of driving in the dark and hating the idea of driving away, so we didn't get back until 9:30 in the evening (rather dark), and I still managed to have a two-hour conversation with him that night. Turns out I am an emotional sap, not the cold-hearted bitch I'd have you all believe. I hope that doesn't let you down TOO much.

(Side note: only two cuss words in this post! He's making me a better woman already.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any pictures to show us? I am so happy for you Adele!

naomi said...

i can't stop grinning for you! thank you for sharing, i am SO HAPPY for you!

Sharon said...

Addie,

VERY glad that the weekend went so well -- and trust that the Lord will continue to be your companion number uno -- while providing the path that will work in your relationship with Rob. Great report....

Anonymous said...

Don't wait too long after christmas to make any big decisions, I've got a bet on you!!!

jgr