Saturday, November 1, 2008

just checking in

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. I had a blissful three days without Blake early in the week (he went to Billings, and I laid very low), and I just spent time alone, not blogging. I had some time with friends, but I read, tried five new recipes (one of the keepers is posted below), fixed the toilet paper holder that was falling out of the wall, created homemade Princess Leia buns, left the house after 8:00 pm all three nights JUST BECAUSE I COULD, and so forth. Blake and I had gotten to the point that we were bickering like siblings, and I desperately needed to regain my footing as the mother. Reestablishing my authority was as simple as having lots of time to myself, and it always amazes me how much I can accomplish when not distracted by all the needs of one delightful child. I'm learning that I need to schedule such time more frequently so as not to go completely insane.

We're now in Spokane, and my son is so sleep-deprived that we'll probably miss the costume party for which I made the Leia buns (but we'll still take and post pictures) because it would be downright cruel to put him to bed any later than 7:00 pm, which is when the party starts. His too-big Superman costume is very fun and cute, though, and Rob's folks took him to "Trunk or Treat" at their church last night. I think that Cec and Joyce are rather taken with my boy, which just endears THEM to ME even more. Plus, he likes them right back. They are even letting me and B stay with them over Christmas, for a few reasons, not least of which I didn't want to kick Rob out of his own bed for that long (two weeks-ish).

I got to see one of the places Rob often works, even recording some audio for BackpackingLight while there. We went up to a pumpkin patch today to grab the gourds we'll carve tomorrow, and subsequently drove through some amazing scenery. If the rolling hills and pine trees were more indicative of what living in Spokane would be like, Bozeman might have some competition for my preferred location! Still, despite having no Panda Express and only two ski hills within an hour's drive, my heart will always belong to Bozeman, but especially to Montana. I just can't help myself.

Rob and I are learning more about each other, which is fun and a little scary. He's getting to know more of my taste in certain things, as well as my propensity to be rigid and OCD. Thankfully, God's giving me gracious words to express this, so what could be construed as hostile is simply me being honest about my limitations. At least, that's what I'm shooting for! I'm learning more about his ambition and ability to make interesting and detailed plans - which is why his house is in various stages of various projects. I think we complement each other: his great ideas and ability to DO things (he's handy), plus my organization skills to see everything fall into place and follow through to completion. I hope he feels the same way...

We're now watching a movie in jammies. Long distance relationships, with all the conversation (we talk at least an hour daily), just cannot hold a candle to getting to sit next to someone and hold their hand. I love being with this man, who is not scared of me or all my crappy baggage, who is amazing with my son, who is affectionate and kind, with a family as big-hearted as he is. As he said earlier today, "It feels very good to be in love again."

Promised recipe, which is less work than Mom's crepes and almost as good:
Puffy Pancake

1 cup flour
1 cup milk
4 large eggs, beaten (optional if not using lemon wedges: add 1/8 tsp nutmeg to the eggs)
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/8 cup powdered sugar
Optional: fresh lemon wedges

Heat oven to 425. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, milk, eggs, and salt. It's fine to leave the batter a little lumpy. Melt butter in a 12-inch skillet with a heatproof handle (if you only have a 10-inch skillet like me, divide the butter and the batter and make two half batches) over medium heat. When it's sizzling and just about to turn brown, remove from heat and pour batter into skillet.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until puffy and golden brown. Sprinkle with sugar and return to the oven for a minute or two (don't forget to use the potholder - OUCH!). Then sprinkle with lemon juice, if using, and serve immediately, passing around more powdered sugar and lemon wedges at the table.

Variation: To get in some fruit, saute two peeled, cored, chopped apples in the melted butter until tender. Add 1/4 tsp. cinnamon to batter along with nutmeg, then pour batter on apples and proceed on schedule.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Addie,

Keep that "checking in" thing going...it's good to hear updates -- and your thoughts are always a good read; you express yourself well.

I have a similar recipe (using the apples) called Baked Apple Pancake, that my daughter l-o-v-e-s. This is definitely the weather and time of year for such a breakfast. Have a blessed Sunday,

Anonymous said...

I think only you could go from all that to a recipe. LOL

T said...

thinking of you and thinking more and more that you ought to come back to the place that you love. not to steal you away from rob but i miss your face okay!

plus i need to see said princess leia buns...

Addie said...

I think Molly could also go from all that to a recipe. She and I are kindred spirits that way!