Thursday, January 1, 2009

just a whole lot of nothing

I generally do not like getting phone calls today. It's hard to know what to say to the people who are calling to see if I'm okay or just to encourage and love on me. This just isn't a day I want to talk about, either what happened four years ago or what is happening right this minute. The first is too painful and would be the equivalent of emotional cutting - why would I do that? The second seems too trivial and meaningless on my understandably least favorite day of the year.

So thank you to the folks who did not call. Thank you to the folks who called yesterday instead, and to the one who emailed full of grace and love and encouragement. Thank you to the friend who called and seemed easily unaware of the significance of THIS DAY for me, so I was able to encourage HER in a few things that were burdening her. Thank you especially to Lane, for her sweetly thoughtful text:

"I love you sister."

I love you, too.

2 comments:

Joy Joy said...

I love you, cousin.

Anonymous said...

i think i was the oblivious one.. mostly in denial that the day had arrived and was of course just glad to get the chance to talk to you - because that's such a great thing.. and let alone just such wonderful stuff we got to talk about: me and your new ring!! oh life.