Sunday, June 7, 2009

crude and sexual content, strong language and nudity

I may not want to admit this publicly, but I laughed so hard I cried at Role Models. It's terribly crude and totally unsuited for most of the people I know, especially my mother, but it's unexpectedly funny in so many different ways that I just had to mention it. The upbeat ending is irritatingly formulaic, but the sarcasm and wit, especially about Augie's role-playing life, kills me. However, after reading the quotes on IMDB, I honestly cannot recommend it to anyone.

Ever.

2 comments:

JulieBee said...

I loved this movie also, and find myself recommending it to everyone with the caveat "It's completely inappropriate in almost every way but it's hilarious." I rarely watch movies like this, but I couldn't stop laughing. I think it's partly because I work with those kids, and had to stop being serious about it all the time in order to stay sane. Also, partly, I think somewhere along the way I arrived at a theory that I am a smart, compassionate, and empathetic person, and a movie that *just* goes for the lowest common denominator to get laughs but doesn't respect what it's making fun of wouldn't amuse me. So if I laugh that much, then it's just really truly funny, and there's just not enough really truly funny stuff in the world.

Heather said...

we went and watched "the hangover" this weekend...and i nearly peed myself. from laughter (don't worry). i highly recommend it to those who find inappropriate things funny (i.e. you, addie-elle), so i'd say go for it. however, children can be nowhere near the tv, or movie screen, so keep that in mind. and i can't wait to watch 'role models' and think of you. xoxo.