Saturday, June 6, 2009

minimoon

Rob and I were given a few days at a friend's cabin immediately after the wedding. We had a great time, though not without a few setbacks.

Within a few hours of arriving, we promptly locked ourselves out onto the balcony. Turns out the antique cupboard latch on the inside is just a lock on the outside - no handle. You have to disable the latch upon opening the door to prevent it from locking you out. Rob didn't know this, and it was he who invited me out onto the balcony to admire the emerging stars. Thinking of the heat, I closed the door behind me.

Rob had to break the latch to get us back in, because breaking glass was out of the question, despite having the cabin phone tantalizingly close through the window we could not open. As the ground entry was also locked (I had made sure of that), and we were barefoot twelve feet off the ground anyway, my big strong man shouldered his way back into the cabin. We repaired the latch and door frame before we left, because we're handy like that.

I also like to leave a place better than I found it.

We had a great deal of fun up there, (sometimes twice a day!), eating and sleeping at whatever hour seemed best, drinking coffee and wine, playing Scrabble, watching movies, building fires in the wood stove. It was lovely. I lost most of the Scrabble games by five to twenty points, but the one I carried was really something, and I had my ultimate highest score ever: 419 to Rob's 298.

On Wednesday, we woke up to a foot of new snow, and we were assured by the cabin's owners that we were quite certainly stuck until Friday, though Saturday was an even safer bet for the roads. I scrambled to find someone to watch Blake for an extra day, as the friends he was with were leaving town on Friday morning. Rob and I continued our relaxation as cabin fever slowly set in. Still, I got so much rest that the dark circles under my eyes disappeared, which surprised me. I had reached the point of believing they were just permanent coloring on my face. Like freckles, but less charming.

By the time Friday rolled around, we'd decided to try the roads no matter what. We really didn't have a choice in the matter, as we'd finished our last bottle of wine the night before, so we clearly couldn't stay.

Blake, having been passed off from Grammie Gee to the Jordan family to the Kelly family, was dismayed to see us at the door. It's hard to go from fun to fun to fun, then to see the two people who love you most in the world but who do not show that love by indulging your every whim appear before you really got used to the last fun place. He cried when I walked in and said, "NO! I want to stay here! I don't want to go home!"

We made it up to him by having Rob stay with me in our bed at the condo. Just like he's always wanted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perfection.