Thursday, August 27, 2009

family time in many-sticks

The family drove to Plentywood (go ahead, make your jokes) in mid-August for a Morstad-family reunion of sorts. The Teipe family came out with all three kids, and that is an event worthy of hours of driving.

We had a great time, really fantastic. Other than the drive, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Both Rob and I were a teensy bit nervous for him, spending time with his wife's late husband's family. When I put it that way, who doesn't think "party!"?

The Morstads welcomed him so cheerfully and gladly - made him feel truly welcome and at ease, and made me realize anew what an amazing family I married into. They have some of the biggest hearts I've ever seen, and it was an enormous blessing. I had a moment or two of sadness, remembering and missing Blake terribly in the location where I knew a wholly different side of him. Thankfully, the moments were brief, though Rob was sensitive to my heart the whole weekend.

We rode a combine, swam in the pool, built towers of Legos, had a great bonfire, and enjoyed the company immensely. Blake borrowed a life jacket in order to jump off the diving board and declared himself a good swimmer, despite his arms forced awkwardly away from his body due to the size of the PFD. He showed so little fear at the diving board that I got nervous. He's not nearly proficient enough in staying afloat to be so bold!

On the way up, I got a call from my mom letting me know that Reese's water had broken, a full three weeks early. I was the one who was going to stay with the twins so that she and Matt could head to the hospital. Oops! Thankfully, Mom was able to make it well in time, and we got back to a new nephew, Sawyer Eames. He is delightful, and Reese mentioned more than a few times how easy it was to have just the one. I didn't have the heart to remind her that she still had twin two-year-olds at home... I'm sure she was all too aware!

Plentywood pics: I'm sorry for the quality, but these were swiped off Facebook and edited, and nothing digital holds up well to that kind of tinkering.

Rob & Addie

Grammie Freda, Joe and Rachel, Patsy, Erin, Steve, Dan, Nancy, Addie, Blake, Rob

Rachel & Joe

Dan & Ernie

Ben

Blake & Chris

Jack

No comments: