Saturday, August 29, 2009

spanish verb tenses are tough, but they've got nothing on that pesky english

to forego (third-person singular simple present foregoes, present participle foregoing, simple past forewent, past participle foregone)

  • To precede, to go before.
Rob and I have had a difficult time remembering all these tenses, and we evidently like using the word "forego."

A: In the interest of time and the stuff I had to get done today, we foregoed Blake's nap.
R: What?
A: (shaking head and laughing) That's not right.

*****
R: When we're in Spokane, what if we foregoo the... (trailing off)
A: What?
R: (shaking head and laughing) That's not right.

*****
I should note that these conversations were weeks apart and that we are clearly having lots of fun together. At least, I think it's clear.

1 comment:

Crystal Young said...

When I see those break downs I always wonder "what the **** is a participle?"