Seriously, there should be a law that forbids the sale of do-it-yourself hair dye after 9:00 pm, because you KNOW that's not going to end well.
- Polkabats and Octopus Slacks, by Calef Brown. We read this at bed or nap time, and the words this guy strings together are adorably nonsensical and almost tongue-twisting, but you can find the cadence and read it aloud and it's mesmerizing. I enjoy it almost as much as Blake does, because who doesn't love a poem called the "Kansas City Octopus" about a guy with four arms and legs and seventies disco glasses?
- The meal-planning recipe guide by my friend. I got it over a year ago and am JUST giving it a try, but they are simple, nutritious, and FAST. My house is full of the smell of fresh rosemary and fresh bread, and I love it. I only worry that getting everything for seven days' of home-cooked meals is too much for my small family to eat, and I'll just have to tailor down the fresh ingredients so they don't go bad before we get to them (one week of meals will take us through about ten days).
- Artisan bread in five minutes a day. I got the recipe from a friend and the whole book from my mom, and I have baked bread ALL BY MYSELF for three months now. Haven't had anything store-bought other than for sammies. Also, I made the caramel rolls that were insanely delicious and not good for you at all, but done to a turn and easily released from my
- DeMarle pan. Because it is AWESOME.
- Friends who tell me it's going to be okay, even as they tell me they're not sure what that will look like. Sometimes I just need the reminder!
- Sweet kisses from sweet boys: husband, son, nephews.
- Rob being willing to make some sacrifices to be here for me right now, because he knows I need it.
- Crossword puzzles.
- Jigsaw puzzles.
- Parties 'R' Us with Blake and lots of our friends and their kids.
- Gym and swim Fridays (partnered with the Daily Coffee shop gift card I got for Christmas!).
- Losing ten pounds since September, thanks to Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred, even though she has a bit of the "crazy eyes" going on there.
- Blake sounding out words and wanting to be called "Shock" for his beat-boxing skills, all because of The Electric Company.
- Blake being careful to leave the table during meals in order to toot - so as not to offend my delicate sensibilities - and inadvertently having them be monster-sized rippers. It's so disorienting, and I can't help but laugh.
- Cheese. Beer. Wine. Buffalo wing potato chips.
- Getting creative in the kitchen and discovering I can make tasty meals out of what was in my fridge and head - no recipe required.
- Queen's Fat-Bottomed Girls. I think I'll crank it now and finish my ironing.
Doesn't that just make you smile?! Don't you want to come over and iron for me? Not even Queen can make me actually LIKE ironing. I mean... it's still ironing. Blerg.