Sunday, April 11, 2010

happy anniversary to us!

Rob and I have been cheerfully hitched for a year now. Last year was rough, only because life was constantly pushing us around. Marriage itself was a great respite of fun and discovery, partly because we were still getting to know each other. And now we're at one year and thinking "WHAT?! I just met you!" because it's pretty much true. I can see that this year will be different. We pushed life back and sat on life's face and then Rob farted and life is giving the Bedford house a wide berth now. Marriage is still fun, but there are more frequent moments of "Why would you do it THAT way when THIS way is so clearly superior?"
....
So, I started this post this morning at 10:30ish. Rob asked if I wanted to finish it or if I wanted to help him paint Blake's bedroom. Clearly, I made the right choice, because all we have to do tomorrow is spot-check for coverage, put everything back together, and that's TWO rooms down (out of three - or four if you count our attached bathroom separately) for painting. It was a lovely day - Blake went to the rodeo with some friends, we painted like fools and spent good time together. Rob didn't realize how much his help with painting would bless me! Blake didn't realize that running off at the rodeo is a quick way to give Z and K a major panic attack! Funny that the child mortally afraid of being lost or left behind takes it into his head to bolt just before the rodeo ends, so that as our friends see him taking off, everyone else stands up and starts milling around. It was a misunderstanding (fully on his part) that he could go to the bathroom before the rodeo ended and ALONE. Silly boy.

Everyone made it home okay, K's heartrate evened out, and Blake meekly asked forgiveness for scaring the bejeebers out of her. We promptly left him with other friends and went out for dinner and a movie - rare treats. Trying to get him home was a trick, since he stubbornly refused to wake up after all the excitement of the day:
  • Rodeo clowns, bucking bulls, calf ropers, and being lost among a sea of butts at eye-level!
  • Star Wars LEGOs wherein he was told he makes the best sound effects!
  • Humming accompaniment to Chase's rendition of "I'll Fly Away" during spaceship playing!
  • Silly bedtime stories by Chase!
Sheesh. I'm wiped out too. Guess I'll open the nice bottle of wine I've saved for a year (HARD TO DO in this house!), grab the box of fancy chocolates I picked up yesterday (Blake's taste test: "They are okay, but not as good."), and snuggle with my fella on the couch.

And from my mini-quiet time this morning (new rule: quiet time before Facebook time - I think it will work well for me), emphasis added:

Psalm 108: 1-6
My heart is steadfast, O God;
   I will sing and make music with all my soul.
Awake, harp and lyre!
   I will awaken the dawn.
I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations;
   I will sing of you among the peoples.
For great is your love, higher than the heavens;
   your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens,
   and let your glory be over all the earth.
Save us and help us with your right hand,
   that those you love may be delivered.

4 comments:

lanerdoo said...

YAY! I can't believe it has a year. I'm sorry I spaced it totally. I thought maybe you got married in July, like the rest of the family. You always had to be different miss red-head.

lanerdoo said...

Been a year. I can't believe it has been a year.

Schultz Family said...

Congrats Rob & Addie! What an exciting occasion. Sounds like you had a very enjoyable day together.

Rooted-in-Love said...

oh gee, it's been a year already?! drat, I missed my 'send a wedding gift within a year, you're ok' deadline. ummm, could I have an extension? :-) Congrats!