Monday, December 6, 2010

grateful good times

Also in his Thanksgiving list, in this order: I am thankful for video games, feast (they had a "friendship feast" in their class), mice, my family.
We rated after mice, video games, and food.

At the car wash, with his color change car in hand.

Cleaning cars is a VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS.

I looked over and honestly thought there was a hedgehog on my feeder. Anyone know what this is? My guess is a young starling-type bird, which shouldn't be young this time of year. Weird.

Glammed up for a friend's 80s themed birthday party. I forgot how easy it is to achieve mall bangs! Rob was quite literally speechless when I emerged from getting ready. Mission: accomplished. I also led the karaoke charge with "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi, and during an instrumental riff, felt compelled to bang my head. I have been paying for it ever since, but I stand by my decision as it was the right thing to do.

Reese and I took the older boys to the Christmas Stroll downtown, which, as usual, was flippin' FREEZING. All the monkeys got to see Santa Claus, immediately identified the downtown tinsel trees as "spiders," warmed up by insisting on cocoa (also known as "coke-up") then refusing to drink most of it, roasted s'mores, and identified game mounts within the Powderhorn.

I LOVE our mantel this year, mostly because of the wreath ($25 and made locally!) and the footed bowl full of balls glass ornaments.


Sparkle and mellow. This nativity scene was a gift from a dear friend for my December wedding to big Blake. Little Blake loves the cartoon-like figures, they are sturdy enough for him to play without fear of breakage, and when he was two, Lane and I taught him the noises for the animals and the angel (an operatic monosyllabic AAAAAAAW!).


My big project. I decided in late November that I didn't want to buy another paper Advent calendar. First of all, by the time I start looking, all that are left are ones that open up to a Santa scene, which I hate. I realize that I cannot single-handedly change the focus of this season, but seriously, an Advent calendar that opens on Santa? SANTA?! It just shows a clear lack of knowledge about Advent, a season of expectant waiting and anticipation of Christ.

I decided I would buy a handmade one on Etsy. No luck there either. Then I decided I would make one, but not out of paper. This bad boy came together in a few short days, with the binding and hanging portions taking the most time, due to hand stitching. Next year I will plan a little further ahead and put together a themed item in each day (a friend has written a book to help instruct children on Advent, and each day has a meaningful token to go along with the Scripture). This year, I have a Hershey kiss in each one, accompanied by Bible verses that Blake and I go over first. I'm pretty stinkin' proud of it, Blake's excited about it, and I finally feel like I might be able to keep up with my awesomely sew-tastic friends!

8 comments:

Jody McComas said...

All I have to say is you made the 80's look good ;) And I hope that next year I can get as crafty as you and make an advent calendar like that. Love it!

Crystal Young said...

You mentioned the book but didn't tell me what it is. My sister is quilting one of these for Xyla for next year. I need the book. No . . .no, Addie . . .I NNEEEEEED the book.

Reese said...

Very impressed with your advent calendar! Love the picture of the boys at the coffee shop and you totally rock the 80s scene...if there is one. :)

aubyn said...

very nice! i love the commitment to the 80s party, the dedication of car washing, and the fibrous nature of your advent!
when you make my advent calendar, i would like large candy and starbucks in it thank you.

Lindsey K said...

Nice work my friend! I love the Advent calendar. I must say I think the Christmas spirit has not hit me yet, and your short sentence about the anticipation of christ I think may have been just what I needed to be reminded of, so thanks and good work!

lanerdoo said...

Nicely done. All of it. I dig the photos, and I especially like your vessels of balls. I too have ball vessels, only mine are gold and black :) The advent calander is marvelous. Ya done good!

Catherine said...

You rocked that party by the way! Thanks for making a fool of yourself with us. And I'll ask Sam about that bird. And the book, in case he hasn't gotten back to you.

Catherine said...

Ok, Sam said it's a starling in non-breeding plumage. And I have a copy of his book printed out so you can borrow it and copy it if you like. Call me, yo.