Friday, January 21, 2011

in which i overshare again, by putting it on my blog

Once upon a time, Rob and I found ourselves at home one afternoon while Blake was at school. We had fun. I posted a three-word status update to Facebook, carefully blocking the status to all but a close few friends who can handle me, closed my laptop, and went to pick up Blake. I ran a few errands, got home, made and ate dinner, and eventually put Blake to bed, at which point I reopened my laptop.

Somehow, the filter I had so carefully set had not worked. Instead of posting to a handful of women who would shake their head and laugh, THIS was shown to anyone and everyone on my friend list:

"Afternoon delight indeed."

My subsequent comment made it clear that I thought I had kept the display to a precious few people. As I looked at the TWENTY COMMENTS and saw people commenting who should NOT have even seen that post, I turned a lovely shade of red, then grey.

A girlfriend: "If this is what you post to the limited list, maybe I should request to be on your PG-13 list!"
A very close friend: "You know how I feel about TMI - no such thing - way to go!"
That close friend's father: "Why save all the fun for the dark, cold winter nights?"
A not-very-close male friend: "Awesome."
Another-not-very-close and recently divorced male friend: "This made my day, mostly because I am so glad to hear of the fruit of second chances - beautiful expression of marriage!"
My mother's friend: "Now I know why your mom's not on FB, Addie! Don't worry: I'll fill her in!"

I about died. I sputtered. I asked Rob's forgiveness for being so foolish. He took one quick read through everything and burst out laughing. I was confused, convinced he'd be mortified by his wife's idiocy.

"Why would I care that everyone knows I got a little nooky? I think it serves you right FOR PUTTING IT ON FACEBOOK! Oh, that's funny."

A friend from church approached me the following Sunday and confessed that she'd had no idea what it meant until she had read the comments. When I expressed my horrified initial response, she chuckled:

"From anyone else, it would have been shocking, but from you, it's hilarious!"

5 comments:

HH said...

And yet again, making me laugh until tears came out my eyes...

Molly said...

HAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA! I totally thought you had a very strange idea of "a close few friends." Because my DAD was one of the people who commented :)

Gailzee said...

To bad we only expect this kind of talk from newlyweds....and by the way, you are still newlyweds! King Solomon had a blog...bible...it's all good! Love you guys! And your POST!

Rob Bedford said...

in which the hero and heroine get it on.

Heather said...

i am dying! this is one of my favorite moments from arrested developments and one of my favorite moments from FB this year!

xxoo!