Friday, February 11, 2011

a very full week

Sorry Mom and others. This week was just crazy in many ways (covering a trade show in Munich, for one thing, that meant I published four extra articles, all after 10:00 PM). Here are the rest of the birthday photos, as promised. There are LOTS!

Rough Start
The twins had been prewarned about Darth Vader's planned appearance at the party, and when they arrived, they were very reluctant to actually come inside. However, they warmed up quickly.

Tjabe, a friend who was uninitiated in the way of Star Wars, heard the invitation read aloud by his mother, thought "Why would I want to waste a Saturday in some sort of strange class at Addie's?" and originally opted out. His mother focused on the pinata, the cupcakes, the FUN of a party. He came, timidly, but also warmed up.

Blake took one look at Tjabe backing Mason into the corner and ran over: "Guys, be VERY careful near these. They are my dad's new speakers." Terra and I about died.

Did I mention I was Leia? Do you know how many strange looks you get in the grocery store when you walk around with Leia hair? At least... I HOPE it was the Leia hair...

Apparently, these are fancy Jedi moves. Blake, Tjabe, Gunnar.

Terra came with the Schuyler boys, and I could NOT have done this without her. Well, without her, the number of guests would have been cut in half, so maybe I could have, but I wouldn't have WANTED to!

Yoda sodas: lime sherbet and Sprite. I wouldn't let them take the cups down until we had a table set up for them, so the boys ponied up to the bendy straws for refreshment. Mason, Smith, Blake (I think he's going to be quite tall).

You're not supposed to FIGHT Leia, you're supposed to SAVE her! I love Smith's face in this one.

Terrible backlighting, but Darth was a big hit. Once they realized he wasn't invincible...

... a veritable forest of light sabers came at him.

Sawyer, enjoying his galactic pizza out of the fray, was wondering what the hell was going on over there.

He is still not willing to take his eyes off the guy in the mask. Men in masks cannot be trusted.

The party crew!

Time to destroy the Death Star...

... with burning, focused intensity...

... and unfortunately glancing blows. After the boys each had a few good swings, Leia struck the death knell because she was freezing.

Crossed light sabers via cupcake! Silver sprinkles and M&Ms made up the handles.

Cutest photobomb ever?

We capped the party by watching an episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Terra and I agreed that our view of the couch was better entertainment than whatever was on the TV.

The young padawans.

Finally, the Perrines stopped by for a surprise birthday visit! Maddox was adorable in the Darth Vader mask, and Bing is a very good sport about being massacred by light saber and the Force.

Rob's birthday was on Tuesday, and I surprised him by having Blake in bed by the time he got home (not hard - he arrives at 7:30, which is usually the bedtime goal). I surprised him further by having a smorgasboard of our favorite sushi arrayed on the table. I surprised him even FURTHER by having moberry yogurt in the freezer. Yay! No party, low-key evening, just like he wanted. While I cannot yet make Nonna Joyce's amazing Chinese food spread (seriously, it's amazing - and usually Rob's birthday meal of choice), I order up take-out sushi like a PRO.

8 comments:

aubyn said...

Isn't it funny that boys know exactly what to do with swords? Or anything that resembles a sword/light saber? Ha ha I love the pics, Addie! I love their brown robes, that is so clever! the whole party is clever, and I bet Blake couldn't have been happier!!!

Unknown said...

Love the group shot. Who knew, amongst all your other talents, that you throw awesome Jedi parties? Thanks for having Gunnar.

lanerdoo said...

So great! I am surprised that your T.V. is still living. With all of the swords and lightsabers flashing about, there were good odds that someone might take out the movie screen on your wall.

Whether you had help or not, you put on a sweetass party. I am sure it was everything that Blake was hoping for!

Glad we got to see you and give birthday hugs.

Gailzee said...

OMG! This is just about the cutest Birthday ever! I loved seeing all the reactions and the faces of the boys gettin into it! Rob, you get the BEST DAD award! You have so many more talents than I could ever have imagined! Great Job, Addie! I love you all! Happy Birthday to Blake and Rob! We love you!
Gail

Momica said...

Bravo well done you wild party Mom and Dad! Glad all the cuzssss' made it and everyone had such a Starrin' good time! Expressions are priceless and Rob I bet you saw some pretty determined faces behind your mask. Happy Days for Happy Birthdays to the Bedfords. Leia whats happening the 16th?

Noel said...

What's funny is that, though my hair is slightly shorter than yours, I wear "leia" hair all the time in real life. I never noticed if I'm getting looks...I always assume if I'm getting looks it's 'cuz I have a nice rack.

Laurie said...

You should hire out for birthday parties. Looks like fun and exhausting. I loved the pictures, especially the photobomb.

leblogdelossmiths said...

WELL DONE, Addie!