Thursday, May 26, 2011

the road to hana

We got up bright and early one morning in order to gas up and drive all the way around south Maui: easily a ten-hour trip. The vast majority of the road is 25 MPH, and all but perhaps two bridges are one-lane. Most people simply drive to Hana (about 50 miles) and turn around. We were some of the few souls who decided to go all the way around (I have no idea how far). A goodly portion of the road, right on an ocean-side cliff, is one-lane. Remember what I said about "alarmingly narrow roads?" I think it is one way that Hawaiians say: we like tourism, but if you go where we don't really want you, we'll scare the bejeebers out of you as a penalty. Because we're growing weed back there, and we'd like for you not to find it.

This road in a convertible was AWESOME. And though I sometimes get startled and gasp, scaring him, Rob is a great driver.

A bamboo forest, waving in the wind. I wanted to get all Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon until I remembered that I am not so good with the hand-eye coordination and the balancing on bendy bamboo stalks. Plus - and this matters - there was no one to fight.

What can I say? He likes the wagon I'm draggin'. Can't argue with that.

Tropical tropical tropical. Anyone for bananas?

Pretty red flower, in some botanical garden where we were chewed on by skeeters.

We found a little black sand beach, along with a bunch of other people.

One of the road's many waterfalls.

Apparently the warm, fresh banana bread was THAT GOOD.

A tropical conversation:
R: Now, why did you marry me?
A: Do you really want to pull at that thread?
R: (surprised laugh)
A: No, I married you because you looked at me and all my life and baggage and history and you didn't flinch.
R: That's what you think. I called Lonnie in near panic, whimpering.
A: Ok, fine. But you didn't blink to my face. And that mattered.

1 comment:

Grammie Perrine said...

"A tropical conversation" absolutley TRUMPS the phrase "You complete me"!