Friday, March 21, 2008

that's what he said

I was driving us home when Blake asked if I heard the puppy. I turned down the radio and listened, but couldn't hear any barking or anything. After a short bit, I hear the tiniest puppy-like whining, and I turn to Blake, feigning excitement, saying, "I hear it! I hear the puppy!"

He went from coy to shared excitement, saying, "Momma, it's a puppy in my mouth!" then pointing while opening wide, as though I would see a tiny terrier if I looked hard enough.

****
During this same drive, my car was full of work computers (we are in the midst of a move). A box of computer miscellany was sitting right next to him, and when he finally noticed it, he grabbed out a keyboard, set it on his lap, and announced "Oh. I need to check my email," as he began typing away.

****
As my friend Catherine has already noted, Blake and Tjabe were playing the other day. Tjabe had one of Blake's toy drills, which actually turns when you pull the trigger. Blake will drill anything and everything in the house with it. Tjabe was calmly wielding the drill behind Blake, who was leading him into the bedroom, when Blake, very concerned, turned to say, "Don't drill me, okay?"

Catherine and I fell over ourselves laughing, comparing it to the 2007 Quote of the Year: "Don't Taze me, bro!"

****
If anyone is keeping track, so far Blake will be the following when he grows up:
  • Race car driver
  • Lawnmower rider
  • Soccer player
  • Basketball player
  • Baseball player
  • Football player
  • A member of the orchestra (Grammie tricked him)
  • A fire fighter
  • Spiderman
Currently, he is a baby monkey. He addresses me as "Momma Monkey," to which I must reply, "Yes, Baby Monkey?"

Every time.

No comments: