Friday, September 26, 2008

addie crocker

To date, this is the best recipe I've found for using up old bananas (thanks Reese!). They are so tasty with a cup of coffee - I can't make them very often because, well, I EAT THEM. Tricky, that.

Banana Mocha Chocolate Chip Muffins
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 mashed bananas
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, cool
  • 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
  • 2 & 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 375. Spray the cups and tops of a 12-cup muffin tin.
  2. Combine egg, egg yolk, bananas, vanilla, coffee, and sour cream. Whisk to blend.
  3. In large bowl, mix flour, soda, powder, salt, and sugar.
  4. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or knives until the butter is pea-sized. Mix in chocolate chips.
  5. Make a well in center of dry ingredients and dump in the banana mix. Gently mix together, but do not overmix.
  6. Fill muffin cups (use an ice cream scoop) until batter just peeks over the top of the pan.
  7. Bake on center rack for 25-30 minutes.
  8. Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove.
You can also use a giant muffin tin, or a mini. I use one regular and one mini (for Blake's treats), and the only catch is that the mini-muffins are done in about 15 minutes.

Um, Blake just fell off the couch. Gotta go!

5 comments:

Rob Bedford said...

/goes shopping for ingredients for next weekend.

Anonymous said...

I love that you follow a post about being skinny with a very naughty recipe... I love you!

Addie said...

Yes, I'm nothing if not consistent. Also, I make this with lowfat plain yogurt, so I can feel a little better about eating two or three a day. Also, aren't bananas a fruit? And there's not TOO much sugar in them!

And I can justify ANYTHING. It's awesome!

lanerdoo said...

p.s. the annonymous comment was from me...i couldn't remember my login. oops!

Jess said...

never a dull moment... :P