Friday, October 17, 2008

loving right now

  • Balsamic reduction glaze. I was introduced to this delightful concoction in Calgary (thanks Erin & Dan!), and now I can't get enough. I drag cheese through it, or chips, crackers, bread, grapes, whatever. It's acidic enough that I can't eat very much at one go, but mmm, it is so yummers. And I'll bet my friend Nichole has a great version of it at her store.
  • Blake's ability to self-play, which has enabled me to stay in bed far longer than I should have twice this week, due to feeling under the weather. I set him up with PBS, a banana, and a sippy of milk, and he leaves me alone for an hour+.
  • PaperbackSwap. I've expanded my collection of great books through this site, costing me only the postage to send my own books out. I have yet to read most of them, but a free hardcover copy of The Black Stallion printed in the 1950s? How cool is that?!
  • Fabulous chicken soup with crusty bread and a friend over tonight. I hope I feel reenergized after the fresh and tasty soup (thanks Mom!).
  • The woman who kindly picked up after her dog pooped in front of my condo. She was a half-block away and calling the dog, so I stepped out and hollered (nicely) if she wouldn't mind coming down to clean up when she got a chance? Not only did she respond kindly (I really wasn't being rude, just assuming she didn't realize her dog had messed my yard), but she came down within five minutes and cleaned up the poo I'd seen, plus one pile I hadn't. I love good neighbors.
  • All the comments on how happy and non-cynical I look these days. I must warn you though: flattery will get you everywhere with me.

3 comments:

Addie said...

Chicken Soup recipe:
2 cooked and shredded/cut chicken breasts
1 box of wild rice & herb, cooked
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup diced onions
1/4 cup diced celery
1/4 cup cut up broccoli
1/2 cup diced carrots
1 pint whipping cream
1 can (or 12 ounces) chicken stock
12 ounces of water

Saute all veggies in the butter until tender. Add everything to a large pot and heat through. Serve with slices of warm, crusty bread.

Anonymous said...

yumm--I'll be trying that soup soon. add cream to anything and you've got something good on your hands, no doubt.

I once offered a girl a bag to pick up her dog's poo from my yeard. She stopped to watch him go as I was pulling in the driveway and then was on her merry little way, but I was kind enough to give her a bag so she could take it with her. I'm so thoughtful, I know.

Yes, you are less cynical thse days, Infact, I was thinking the just last night, "I wonder if Addie will change the name of her blog one of these days?" Not that I don't like the name, just that I see the change in you, too! Way to go. love ya

Anonymous said...

Addie,
Just catching up on a few of your posts - we don't sell a premade balsamic reduction - just really good balsamic vinegar. Here's the recipe I like to use to make my own:

Balsamic Vinegar Sauce - put 1/2 c balsamic vinegar, 1 T molasses, and 1 T maple syrup into a sauce pan. Slowly simmer until reduced by half. Remove and whisk in 2 T butter until melted.
Buon Appetito!