Saturday, February 20, 2010

blake's first round of birthday fun

We spent a January weekend with my folks, and Grammie and Papaw gave Blake his gifts early, while Maddox circled hopefully. Later that night, Blake apologized to me: "Mom, I'm sorry that you didn't get any presents for your birthday today."

This child is going places. Probably while drunk.

Grammie: Blake, which candles do you want on your birthday cake? (said while offering a selection)
Blake: Um, all of them!

All of them! Blake was thrilled because Grammie made him rum cake. Okay, she made US rum cake, and we all called it his birthday cake. He was just excited that he actually got to have a piece of cake with alcohol in it.

Andy and Michelle were as excited about Blake's birthday as he was, though Moira (in the car seat) appears far more ambivalent. For the last two months, I've traded childcare with Michelle so both of us could get two child-free days of work, and though the swapping is coming to an end, it has been such fun to have a little girl in the house. Getting to see so much of my old friends and snuggle their little girl has been a great addition to my winter!

"I LOVE HOODIES!" upon opening a present from Grammie Gee on birthday morning.

A parrot from Grammie, for wearing during pirate patch time. Blake loved this bird and made me hold him so that he could watch B during swimming lessons that day.

John Deere prezzies from Grampa Steve & Grammie Patsy. "This is the one I've always WANTED!!!"

This is just the pre-game. We had an actual party at the local bounce house, with five friends invited. I've decided that, while it was fun, I will probably limit parties to two friends and make them SUPER special from now on... all those kids, even with focused things to do and jump on, wore me clean out. I need to find the balance of being a cool mom with being an ALIVE mom at the end of the day. It's in there. Somewhere.

Coming soon: the bounce house pics, my birthday pics, and the home improvements we've been making. Whew!

1 comment:

Lindsey K said...

So. Cute! What a great kid you have!